Banking: Hematopoietic Stem cell (HSC)
HSCs are hematopoietic stem cells and blood components that replace degenera-tive or dead cells.
HSCs reproduce and differentiate into red blood cells which de-liver oxygen to the body, white blood cells which defend the body against foreign invaders and diseases and platelets which stop bleeding. Available sources of HSCs include umbilical cord blood stem cells, bone marrow and peripheral blood stem cells (PBSCs).
What medical treatment are HSCs for?
- Diseases related with bone marrow disorder
- Blood cancers such as leukemia or other cancers requiring chemotherapy
- Primary immunodeficiency
- Platelet disorders
- Red blood cell disorders such as aplasia
- Anemia that requires regular blood transfusion
- Inherited metabolic disorders such as osteoporosis